Monday, August 16, 2010

Porting ejpi: Meaningless Results

So let's see how the two versions of ejpi compare:

Qt Version
  • Feature parity with the GTK version
  • Improved pie menu performance but two pie menu display bugs
  • Simplified layout with the potential for rotation
  • 3382 LOCs
  • From June 8th to July 16th
GTK Version
  • 4473 LOCs
  • From January 30th to February 25th
LOCs are measured by "wc -l" rather than getting fancy.  I wrote both apps and they were written in a similar style with similar amounts of whitespace and documentation.


The LOC counts look nice, more drastic than my Gonvert port for what it is worth.  I had a lot more distractions going on during my port of ejpi so a comparison of implementation times between Gtk/Qt or Gonvert/ejpi is as meaningless as the title of this post suggests.

My main Qt disappointment in this port is what seems like high coupling both in Qt itself and in code written by others (the example pie menus).

Now for some of the upsides.  Though I implemented them differently, the similarity in the drawing code between Qt and Cairo helped.  Also finding out about QStandardItemModel made my life easier.

I'm split on which direction I want to go in my learning of Qt.  Originally I had planned on porting Dialcentral for gaining experience with threading.  I have too many ideas though and not enough time.  Possible directions include: porting other apps of mine, a new app using QGraphicsView, or some QtMobility contacts (and eventually calendar) plugins (though then I'd also have to learn the quirks of Qt in C++ and deploying compiled apps to Maemo).

No comments:

Post a Comment