Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Porting Gonvert: Meaningless Results

So let's see how the two versions of Gonvert compare:

Qt Version
  • Feature parity with the GTK version
  • 5 Windows (Two ways of unit conversion, quick jump, and recent)
  • 1985 LOCs
  • From May 26 to June 15th
GTK Version
  • 1 Window
  • 1658 LOCs (766 of that is hildonize.py which Gonvert doesn't use all of it)
  • From October 29th to January 9th
LOCs are measured by "wc -l" rather than getting fancy.  I wrote both apps and they were written in a similar style with similar amounts of whitespace and documentation.

So for all of my criticism of Qt this went fairly quickly without a lot of code. I look forward maintaining this code base going forward.  It is still hard to compare the numbers because of how meaningless they are.  How much should hildonize.py count towards the GTK version?  How much of the GTK development time was me learning the code and providing a smooth refactored path through revision history rather than doing a fresh rewrite?

One nice side benefit of not having to modify the actual unit list or the base conversions is that I'm still shipping the GTK version in case someone really doesn't like the new stuff.  Now that I'm well beyond feature parity I don't think that is as much of a concern anymore.

I've already started on the next phase of my Qt learning process, porting ejpi.  Some outside things have come up which has slowed down my progress.  I'll follow up with posts on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment