Once upon a time I needed to write an application that interfaced with the real world. I decided I wanted to use a data acquisition device from NI but I'm picky. I want easy prototyping with fine control in the finished product. That kicks out LabVIEW (luckily I'm forgetful or else I could write post after post about the good and bad of LabVIEW).
So I decided to use the C with DAQmx. For prototyping I decided to use Python with its ctypes library. I found some example bindings on a scipy page but they were hand generated and didn't seem very pythonic. So I wrote my own generator and then added some custom helpers on top to make common operations more pythonic. Unlike pydaqmx (which I just now found out about) I include my code-gen tool and I don't try to create a fake OOP system on top of the DAQmx API.
I even took some of the basic examples included with DAQmx and created the Python equivelants.
You can find a copy of DAQpy on github. I would caution I re-organized the code on my Linux box which means I don't have access to DAQmx to validate things. Patches welcome :)